Panzanella is an Italian-style bread salad. Leftover bread would make amazing croutons for this dish. This one features a delicious mix of vegetables and croutons for a meal-sized salad.
Updated: Wed, 02/21/2018 - 10:43pm
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 slices bread of choice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes, soaked 1 hour
- ½ cup sliced Kalamata olives
- ½ cup chopped artichoke hearts
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fresh basil, sliced thinly
- 4 cups mixed greens (spinach, arugula, lettuce, etc)
- In a small saucepan, melt vegan margarine over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and simmer on low until garlic is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Layer bread slices onto a rimmed baking sheet and brush with warm margarine mixture. Broil or toast until very brown, about 5-8 minutes. Flip, and cook on second side, 3-5 more minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut or tear into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegars, dried basil and salt/pepper. Toss in sundried tomatoes, olives, artichokes and walnuts. Toss to coat, and let marinate 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- In your largest mixing bowl, gently toss salad greens with basil, marinated vegetables and bread chunks. Divide evenly between 4 salad bowls. Serve immediately.
- If serving later, keep all components separate until just before serving. Enjoy!