Vegan Tortilla Soup
This traditional Mexican favorite is excellent garnished with fresh cilantro and sliced avocado.
- 3 Tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 Roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced with seed
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded kale
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch chopped cilantro
- 1 package corn tortillas
- Safflower oil to cover pan ¼ inch deep
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, tomato, jalapeño, and garlic.
- Stir in red pepper, zucchini, and all seasonings.
- Slowly stir in broth. Add water and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, turn heat down to low and cover.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- To make Tortilla Strips: Slice tortillas into long, thin strips. Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry strips until extra crispy. Place on paper towel to cool and sprinkle with salt.
- To serve, place soup in bowl and top with Tortilla Strips. Serve and enjoy!