A classic Italian soup that makes an easy weeknight dinner.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup small elbows, macaroni, or spiral
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 cups chopped green kale or spinach
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- Add olive oil to a large stockpot and warm over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook until soft- about 15 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, noodles, and carrots to onions and bring to a boil. Stir in tomato paste and celery salt and cook until noodles soften.
- Add kale, peas, basil, and zest when noodles are finished cooking. Stir to combine and wilt greens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide into serving bowls and serve alongside bread or salads. Enjoy!