Hot and Sour Soup
Tangy and spicy flavors are combined in a simple weeknight soup. The Baked Tofu adds a nice chewiness to the soup, but it is optional.
- 1 Tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 (10-ounce) block super-firm tofu, sliced thinly
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, blended
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Sliced green onions for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Lemons for garnish
- To make the Baked Tofu: Mix together soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, and rice vinegar in a large bowl. Add tofu and marinate one hour.
- Layer tofu onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 400º for 20 minutes. Flip tofu and bake 10-15 minutes more, or until tofu is golden. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients to onions and bring to low boil. Cover and cook 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in baked tofu.
- Divide soup into serving bowls, and garnish with green onion, sesame seeds, and a squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!