- 5 medium size beets
- 2 Tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 head endive, washed and rinsed
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup walnuts
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Wash and dry beets. Cut off the tips and ends.
- Place beets in foil, drizzle with safflower oil and seal foil tightly.
- Cook beets for 45 minutes until soft. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once cooled, peel beets by rubbing with a paper towel. Cut into bite size pieces.
- Cut 3 inches off base of the endive; this portion is very bitter.
- Tear endive into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl. Add beets, onions, and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Dijon Vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over salad and toss. Enjoy!