Lentil Taco recipe from Down to Earth Organic and Natural.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1¼ cup finely diced portobello mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 10 corn tortillas
- Pour boiling water over lentils and soak for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- Sauté onion, garlic, red bell pepper and mushrooms in olive oil.
- Add soaked lentils, chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper and oregano. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook for another 6-8 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Place ¼ cup of mixture into the center of a tortilla and top with your favorite taco toppings, such as Cashew Cilantro Sauce, fresh diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, green onion and sliced olives. Enjoy!