- 4 medium carrots
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 Tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce or liquid smoke
- 1-3 teaspoons dulse flakes
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel away outer layer of carrots. Then peel the carrots into wide strips. It’s usually easier to peel from the small bottom towards the large top. Repeat for all carrots.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Mix together soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and dulse flakes in a small bowl. Add in peeled carrot strips and toss gently with your hands to make sure the strips are well coated.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Give yourself enough extra foil to completely cover carrots - this foil pocket will help bake and steam the carrots so that they’re soft and tender.
- Transfer the carrots to the prepared baking sheet, making sure to squeeze out any excess liquid. Cover carrots with extra foil to create a foil pocket. Crimp the foil edges together.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes. At 15 minutes, check to see if any of your carrots are beginning to burn – this will depend on how thick your strips are. If they’re not beginning to darken, allow them to cook for more time, checking on them every 5 minutes to prevent them from burning. They should be soft and tender.
- Once done, transfer them to a small bowl and allow them to cool completely. Cover and let them chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour up to overnight before serving. These carrot lox can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Serve on top of bagels along with your favorite bagel accompaniments like cream cheese, capers, or tomatoes. Enjoy!