Strawberry & Macadamia Nut Scones
The wholesome spelt flour and oat bran adds fiber, macadamia nuts add a buttery texture and agave brings out the natural sweetness of the fruit. You can use any type of fruit for these scones: fresh, frozen or dried.
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ cup ground, toasted macadamia nuts
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- ⅓ cup liquid coconut oil
- ⅓ cup agave + ¼ cup for drizzle
- ¼ cup brewed tea
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla powder
- ½ - ¾ cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix spelt flour, oat bran, nuts, baking powder and sea salt.
- Measure the oil, ⅓ cup agave, tea, and vanilla into a small bowl and mix to combine. Add liquids into the dry ingredients, and stir gently. Add the berries and stir to just combine.
- Scoop out ¼ cup batter into your hands, gently press flat, and then lay on to cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each scone. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pan halfway.
- Immediately after removing scones from the oven, drizzle with remaining ¼ cup agave. Let stand on the cookie sheet for about 10 minutes, and then move to cooling racks.
- These stay fresh for a few days at room temperature, and they freeze very well. Enjoy!