If you haven’t got chai spice blend handy, but want a quick cup of chai, here’s a delicious recipe that you can make in minutes.
- 4 cups water
- 4 cardomom pods
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1 (3”) cinnamon stick
- 1” ginger root
- 2 tea bags – black, green or rooibos are common
- 1/2 cup of almond, rice, soy or dairy milk
- 2 pinches of stevia or other sweetener
- Bring the water to boil in a pot.
- In a mortar and pestle lightly grind the cardomom pods and cloves.
- Add this to the boiling water along with the fennel, cinnamon, ginger root and tea.
- Boil for 2 minutes, until the water darkens.
- Discard the ginger root and tea.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the sweetener, adjusting to taste. Serve hot! Enjoy!