- 1-2 cups vegetarian broth
- 1 Tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons shoyu or tamari
- 2-3 Tablespoons cane sugar
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ kabocha squash, deseeded, roughly peeled, and chopped
- 1 2-inch piece kombu
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Dashi ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Place kabocha and kombu in a large saucepan. Pour Dashi over kabocha.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cover and cook until kabocha pierces easily with a toothpick. Do not overcook kabocha or it will become mushy.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 30 minutes so flavors steep into the kabocha. Serve at room temperature or chilled with a little bit of Dashi spooned over kabocha. Enjoy!