Savory Barley Stew
Barley stew is soothing and nourishing to the stomach and digestive system and rich in fiber and minerals.
- ¼ cup dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup of water for 1 hour
- 2”-4” piece kombu, soaked in 1 cup of water for 1 hour
- 1-2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dried barley
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2-3 Tablespoons Nama Shoyu®
- Fresh cracked pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley
- After letting the mushrooms and kombu soak, remove from water and set aside. Reserve soaking water for later. Dry mushrooms and kombu and slice thinly. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a stock pot over low heat. Stir in onion and cook for 1-2 minutes; stir in the mushrooms and barley until thoroughly combined.
- Add in reserved soaking water, vegetable broth, sliced kombu, thyme and ginger.
- Cover and increase heat; bring to a boil, then simmer until barley is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the Nama Shoyu® and fresh pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!