- 1 cup lentils
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil + 2 Tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced + 2-3 cloves, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth + 4 cups
- 4 cups chopped vegetables (carrots, celery, onion, peas, cauliflower, etc.)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
For the crust:
- 2 pounds potatoes (Yukon gold, sweet potatoes, russet, etc.), peeled and chopped into cubes of roughly the same size
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the topping (optional):
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons thyme
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Place uncooked lentils in a pot over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil and stir to coat lentils completely. Add salt and 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Cook the lentils until they start to burn. Add the vegetable broth and cover. Cook until lentils have absorbed all the liquid.
- In a separate pot, add 2 Tablespoons olive oil, chopped vegetables, salt, and balsamic vinegar. Sautee until cooked.
- Add 4 cups vegetable broth and cooked lentils, bring to a boil. Add flour and corn starch and stir until thickened.
- Carefully transfer to a 13x9 pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and boil until they are soft, so a knife can easily cut through.
- Drain the potatoes. Add almond milk, vegan butter, and salt. Mash until creamy.
- Distribute spoonfuls of mashed potatoes over vegetable mix in 13x9 pan. Spread so the potatoes are evenly distributed across the top. Optional: coat the top with chopped walnuts and thyme.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and liquid at the edges starts to boil.