- 6 Tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- ½ cup sesame tahini
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon each cumin, black pepper, and sea salt
- Water, as needed for texture
- In a medium-sized saucepan heat 3 Tablespoons coconut oil until warm. Add onions and garlic, stir to coat, and cook over low heat until soft and brown, about 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse garbanzo beans until mashed. Add remaining 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, cooked onions/garlic, tahini, lemon, cumin, pepper and salt. Blend until very smooth, adding a few tablespoons of water to adjust texture. Add more lemon, salt, pepper to taste.
- Let stand at least one hour for flavors to meld. Serve alongside crackers, a veggie plate, or on your favorite sandwich.